Our Lady of Sorrows
Devotion to the Seven Sorrows of Mary
On September 15th we celebrate the Feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, patroness of our school. Devotion to her sorrows has traditionally been promoted during this month.
The practice of meditating on the Seven Sorrows of Mary began in the 13th century by the Order of the Friar Servants of Mary (Servites). There are almost 5,000 members in the order today, and they still promote devotion to the Seven Sorrows.
In this devotion, reflection is given on seven moments in the life of Mary. There is a chaplet (a mini-rosary) that is prayed in conjunction with the meditations on the seven sorrows. This month, spend some time remembering how much Mary gave of herself. In doing so, we will take up the Servite mandate of prayer, unity, service and devotion to Our Lady. Praying the Chaplet will give you a path of meditation that will draw us closer to Jesus by being drawn closer to Mary.
Praying the Chaplet
- Begin the Chaplet with the Sign of the Cross.
- State your intentions for the chaplet.
- Pray an Act of Contrition.
- Announce one Sorrow (list is below).
- Pray one Our Father & seven Hail Mary’s.
- Repeat steps 4 - 5 for all seven Sorrows.
- Pray 3 Hail Mary’s (in honor of her tears).
- Pray one Our Father.
- Finish with the closing prayer (see below).
The Seven Sorrows
- 1st Sorrow: The Presentation / The Prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:22-35)
- 2nd Sorrow: The Flight into Egypt (Matthew 2:13-21)
- 3rd Sorrow: The Child Jesus Lost in the Temple (Luke 2:41-50)
- 4th Sorrow: Mary Meets Jesus Carrying His Cross (Luke 23:26-32)
- 5th Sorrow: The Crucifixion / Mary at the Foot of the Cross (John 19:18, 25-30)
- 6th Sorrow: Mary Receives the Body of Jesus Taken Down from the Cross (Psalm 130; John 19:31-34, 38)
- 7th Sorrow: Jesus is Laid in the Tomb (Luke 23:50-56; John 19:38-42)
Leader: Pray for us, most Sorrowful Virgin
Response: That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let Us Pray:
Lord Jesus, we now implore, both for the present and for the hour of our death, the intercession of the Most Blessed Virgin Mary, Your Mother, whose Holy Soul was pierced during Your Passion by a sword of grief. Grant us this favor, O Savior of the world, Who lives and reigns with the Father and the Holy Spirit forever and ever. Amen.
Blessings & Peace,
Hugo De La Rosa III