Our Lady of Sorrows School exists primarily for Catholic students, and secondarily for students of any other faith tradition who choose a Catholic School.
After enrollment is completed and the student is accepted, the registration fee and tuition payments are non-refundable. All student textbooks and workbooks, as well as initial student supplies are included in the tuition payment.
A child is eligible for admission to Pre-Kinder 3, 4 and Kinder 5, and first grade if he/she has reached the age of 3, 4, 5 and 6 years respectively, on or before September 1. There are no exceptions to this rule. The application form is online, and all notifications for application and enrollment are emailed as well.
Required General Admission Documents
- Copy of the Birth Certificate
- Copy of the Baptismal Certificate
- Social Security Number
- Immunization Record
Admission Documents for Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten
In addition to the general admission documents about, the following are also required.
- Completion of the application form and a $300.00 deposit.
- Submission of all required documents.
- The child is potty-trained (Pre Kinder 3-4 years old)
- The child is emotionally and socially ready for a school environment.
- One (1) evaluation form from previous Preschool, Day Care Director, or parent.
- The child has some understanding of the English language.
- Admission is subject to space availability and the interview process.
Admission Documents for Grades 1 - 8
Students entering 1st through 8th grade must present the following documents in addition to the above general admission documents.
- Standardized test scores of "50" percentile or better on Reading Total, Math Total, Language Total, and Battery Composite OR Successful completion of Entrance Exam ($10.00 cost of exam).
- Completion of the Application Form and $300.00 deposit.
- Submission of all required documents (academic record from previous school).
- Passing grades of C or better in all academic subjects.
- Behavior ratings of satisfactory or better.
- Two (2) recommendations from the current school.
Admission is subject to space availability and the interview process.
Non-United States Residents
The admission criteria listed above applies to all non-US resident students who enroll from Mexico or another foreign country. Students who are non-US residents from another must apply for a Student Visa immediately after being accepted for enrollment.
Admission of Non-Catholic Students
The non-Catholic applicant should:
- Understand, accept and support actively the philosophy and goals of the school.
- Relate responsibly to the members of the school community, whether adults or students.
- Cultivate personal talents and abilities to the extent that he/she is able.
- Attend religious education classes.
- Attend church services and/or liturgy at the school and understand the reasons for the invitation.
- Participate in the school's service projects.
Probationary Period after Admission
Once admitted to OLSS, a probationary period of nine (9) weeks exists during which time a decision is made whether or not to continue enrollment. The decision is based on the student meeting the following:
- Academic Requirements
- Attendance Requirements
- Homework Requirements
- Code of Conduct Requirements
- Social, emotional, and physical criteria of the Pre-Kindergarten or Kindergarten program
Parents are informed by the Principal of the need to enroll the child elsewhere if these criteria are not met.